“When asked about the history of birthing pools in hospitals, I first mention two key events:
- In the 1970s, my visit to a sports shop in Pithiviers, the French town where I was practising: I bought a deep inflatable paddling pool and found a convenient space in the maternity unit to install it.
- The day when Keith Brainin realised that special bath tubs might be designed and commercialised to meet the needs of labouring women.”
Michel Odent – author, obstetrician & water birth pioneer
We helped pioneer the use of water for labour and birth by designing the water birth pools that made this revolution in maternity care possible.
Since 1987 we’ve supplied thousands of water birth pools to hospitals worldwide & worked closely with clients and manufacturers to evolve & improve our capabilities.
We have achieved success by caring about every detail and keeping things simple.
Our experience over the past 30 years has given us a unique understanding of the needs of mothers & midwives and the safety regulations that must be adhered to.
We combine superior materials and bespoke manufacturing techniques to create beautiful water birth pools that are regarded as the benchmark standard world-wide.
“The pool met all of my expectations. I’m convinced that the water helps you stay in control in the final stages.”
S. Stone – Maida Vale, W. London
“Your birth pool made my labour so much easier I’d recommend it to every pregnant mother for her birth.”
Jill Ireland – Bristol
“You clearly have a tub that is far superior to all the tubs we have found in the US -not only for patient comfort, but also for provider convenience.”
Karen Werrbach Director, Women’s Health Institute Rush-Copley Medical Center
“I can’t tell you how much your pools have revolutionised birth. ”
C. Wilson Midwife Dewsbury District Hospital
“Brilliant, like the wide rim so mums can sit on the side and swivel their legs around to get in and out, much safer. ”
A. Bentley NHS Midwife
“Thank you for the awesome pools. My one regret is not trying out one myself before we opened the birth centre! Many thanks!”
Consultant Midwife Greenwich Birth Centre
“We love your active birth pools, so much so we have one in every room on our birth centre ”
Jo Talbot Chorley & Preston Birth Centre Manager
“Have used Active Birth Pools pool a lot in my career. They allow flexibility for women to change position. ”
H. Young Midwife Taunton and Somerset NHS Trust
“Thank you Keith… our new Venus Pool looks stunning!”
Jan Butler Consultant Midwife Rosie Hospital, Cambridge
“ The water birth pool was extremely comfortable and supportive and made such a difference – I don’t know what I would have done without it”
Sarah Copeland, Birmingham
“Let me introduce you to Keith Brainin who provided us with our Princess Pools in both of our birth centres. His pools are brilliant and the service that he provides is excellent.”
Dr Tracey Cooper Consultant Midwife Lancashire Teaching Hospitals
Long established as the benchmark standard
Our new pools are a quantum leap forward in every respect
- 20 year guarantee
- Exceptional long term value – life expectancy 25+ years!
- Optimum performance – minimum risk
- Fabricated in Ficore® composite, a superior material exclusive to Active Birth Pools
- Winner – Building Better Healthcare Awards 2015
- Designed for optimum comfort, maximum support & complete freedom of movement
- Handmade to order by highly skilled craftsmen in England.